Friday, July 23, 2010

Bust, sort of

Yesterday was another day where I tried to stay busy. First I had Groundlings in the morning. I left a little earlier than I normally do so I got there with 45 minutes before class started. So I went down the block to Fratelli's and had a coffee while I checked e-mail and relaxed. Class was fun but it's still much harder than I expected it to be. I suppose that's a good thing in a way because it doesn't let me mail it in, I do feel like I'm getting better at this point. My one complaint is that we don't usually do very many exercises where we act out entire scenes. A lot of what we're practicing seems very practical, but we only use the skills in very directed exercises and don't really get to combine them. We are however only halfway done with the class and perhaps in the second half we will refocus the effort onto putting what we're learning into practice. We'll see.

Thursday night I went again to the Sunset Grill to do an open mic which actually went very well, and I even got it on film. The Sunset Grill is really too small of a place to be holding open mics because not everyone can fit in the room and usually everyone just hangs around outside. This is good and bad, bad because you don't get as big of an audience as you could. Particularly when the guy who goes before you cleans out the room with his awful jokes (I'm looking at you, guy who went before me). What makes the Sunset Grill cool is after my good set I went outside and hung out with some of the comics who couldn't fit in the room. Comics are different from hanging out with other people because whenever you're at an open mic you always talk "business." What jokes you liked, who is performing where, the location of other open mics, promoting shows. It's all usually on the same couple topics and you can usually tell the people who will make it and do fairly well, they are generally much nicer and more laid back about their comedy. Almost everyone tries to help everyone else because everyone knows they're in the same boat, it's a cool scene.

Today I did another open mic here in Studio City, I thought I did well, but then again I was last to go and there were only 3 people watching. I'm gonna just be grateful I got some mic time and be happy with that. Tonight I'm searching job sites for a few more jobs and I found a website specific to radio jobs. Quick question for anyone who may know; how do I go about editing an mp3 track that I own so I can cut it down to 5 MB? I'm thinking there has to be a program I can use to chop it up, but I don't want to pay money to do it.

Anyway, I don't have any plans for the weekend, I guess finding ways to stay busy. Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment